About KCNA Scholarships
King County Nurses Association (KCNA) is proud to help ensure the future of nursing in our community by offering scholarships to qualified nursing students.
Applications for 2016 are closed. If you are interested in applying for a 2017 scholarship for the 2017-18, information and applications will be on the website late December 2016.
KCNA has provided scholarships for nursing students since 1993, serving 200 students with a total of $344,750. In 2016, 15 students each received a $3,000 award.
Congratulations 2016 Scholarship Recipients!
Fifteen scholarships of $3,000 each were awarded for the 2016-17 school year.
View short bios of the scholarship recipients here.
- Provide financial assistance to qualified students who have a permanent address, or are currently enrolled in a nursing program in King County and are preparing for a career as a registered nurse, or to RNs returning for an advanced degree in nursing or a related field.
- Encourage and provide for increasing diversity within the nursing profession that reflects the population as a whole.
- Support nurses to be change agents in creating a healthier community in King County.
TYPES OF SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
Scholarships will be awarded in the spring of 2017 for summer 2017 through spring 2018 school terms. Applicants must be accepted into or currently enrolled in a nursing program for the summer 2017 through spring 2018 school year. If you have applied but have not been accepted, you are ineligible and should wait until the following year to apply for the scholarship.
Basic Program: General scholarships will be awarded to students enrolled in associate or baccalaureate degree programs preparing for a career as a registered nurse. At least one of these scholarships is designated for a racially and ethnically diverse student.
Graduate Entry Program: Scholarship will be awarded to students currently enrolled in a graduate entry program in nursing. The student may be in the pre-licensure or the advanced degree portion of the program.
RN Baccalaureate (RNB) Program: Scholarship will be awarded to a registered nurse in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
Advance Degree Program: Valerie Weiss, ARNP, MN, MA, Memorial Scholarship Award is for a current RN working toward an advanced degree in nursing or a related field. The award is given as a lasting legacy to an outstanding nurse whose professional commitment was an inspiration to her colleagues and patients alike. For Master's, DNP and PhD nursing students.
KCNA reserves the right to distribute the scholarships among these categories depending on applications received.
- Be currently enrolled in nursing program as described in the categories above.
- Maintain a minimum “B” average (3.0 grade point average).
- Maintain a permanent address in King County or be enrolled in a nursing program located in King County.
Valerie Weiss Memorial Scholarship: Meet the above criteria and demonstrate an exemplary commitment to the nursing profession through extracurricular professional activities.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of:
- Commitment to Social Justice
- Commitment to King County community
- Community/School Involvement
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Do I need to send transcripts from all the schools I have attended? Answer: You only need to send in current college transcripts that include nursing courses and any prerequisites.
- Do I need to send official transcripts? Answer: An official transcript is not needed, an unofficial transcript is sufficient.
- Do you have a form for my references to complete? Answer: No, we do not have a form. We prefer to have the reference write a letter of recommendation.
- Can I have a past instructor write a letter of recommendation? Answer: Yes, as long as they know you well enough to write a letter of recommendation.
- Should I send in the reference letters with my application or separate? Answer: We prefer to receive everything together but you can ask a reference to send it to us separately by the deadline. If you are having it sent separately, let us know who we can expect to receive the letter from so we can match it with your application materials.
- Which category of scholarship should I apply for? Answer: Please review the detailed information on the scholarship application to determine your category.
- Can I apply for a scholarship if I haven't completed any prerequisites? Answer: No, you need to complete the nursing prerequisites and be accepted into a program before you can apply.
- How can I deliver my application? Answer: You can have it postmarked and mailed or you can hand deliver it to our office. March 1, 2017 is the deadline. If you are hand delivering it, you can drop it off between 9 am and 3 pm. We do not accept faxes or electronically submitted applications.
- If I am awarded the scholarship, when can I start using the money? Answer: The funds will be sent to your school for use beginning in the summer of 2017 and ending the spring of 2018.